Monday, November 12, 2007

Dog Laws Need to Change

Every so often the newspapers will publish some story about how many thousands of dogs are killed by the local county every years. In big cities it could be an astronomical number every year. It seems to me that there are a lot of factors that contribute to the death of so many dogs every year, and I think that local and state legislators could change the pet laws to make a big difference that would diminish the number of dogs that must be killed every year. These are the negative factors:
  1. Apartment buildings and condominiums are permitted to ban pets. Usually the owners can change the rules whenever they want to, and people who have pets have to get rid of them. Apartment dwellers who have pets often have to get rid of them when they move to another rental unit that does not permit pets. Affordable housing in many cities is very limited, and often they do not permit pets. The apartment buildings and condominiums that do permit pets often charge an extra deposit premium per pet which is usually a minimum of $500 per pet and can be several thousand dollars in some building associations.
  2. A dog license in most cities is around $100, but if you forget to send the payment on time the late fee in many cities is $500 or more. In some cities the late fee is astronomical and accrues monthly, so that after a few months an owner who is facing astronomical fees might decide to just give the dog away or take it to the dog pound rather than pay thousands of dollars in penalties. While these fees cannot be enforced against an apartment dweller, local governments will put a lien on a land-owner in a heartbeat, especially if the person who owns the dog also owns the home where the dog was registered. Some fines don't make much sense, and screwing pet owners for being late is one of those fines that I think is counter-productive.

  3. Puppy Mills need to be outlawed or strictly regulated. At a shopping plaza near my home there is a puppy store almost next to a Pet Supermarket. The puppy store is horrifying. The poor dogs are in tiny cages that are often stacked, and it is like some kind of hellhole. Often the dogs stink from the urine and poop which has not been cleaned, and some of the bigger dogs look sick because they have outgrown the tiny cages. The people that work there are usually teenagers, and I am talking about the kind that look like thugs who are on probation from Youth Hall. I have rarely seen nice people working at these store-front puppy mills. I wonder how many dogs die in these little puppy stores, and I wonder what regulatory standards have to be followed, if any. I feel sorry for anyone that has to work at a puppy store because they have no other choice for earning income. I guess once they get used to the suffering of the animals it is just like any other business. Things have to be done to turn a profit, and at the end of every day somebody has to bag the dead dogs and toss them in the dumpster.
  4. Regulating Pet Rescue organizations and making sure they are actually rescuing pets and not scamming donors. I have a somewhat jaded view of Pet Rescue. My only experience with this was some place near my house which seemed to have the same twenty dogs every time I ever went there. I actually tried to adopt a dog there once and they gave me an application which was longer than a mortgage, and they wanted to perform every kind of background check and also contact my employer as part of this pre-adoption check. The adoption fee was more than what it would cost to buy a puppy at a reputable store, and about ten times what it would cost to adopt a pet at the county dog pound. It would be nice if these pet rescue organizations had to be audited every year and then post their audits where the public could check. Number one question would be how many dogs actually got adopted.
  5. Public parks need to allow pets. It really sucks that almost every park in most cities will not allow dogs. You cannot take your dog on a nature walk, jogging, biking, or anywhere else that involves public parks. Most state parks have similar bans against dogs. So if you wanted to take the dog camping or hiking with the family, sorry. Dogs are excluded primarily due to two issues. The most popular one is the dog poop. If everyone can bring their dog to the park, then it would be full of poop. I think that is a valid concern, but in many cities there are pooper scooper laws that encourage people to pick up after the dog or get fined. Nobody will know if such a system will work unless it is tried. The other major concern is that dogs will bite someone. The only solution to this is that dogs have to be kept on a leash. Additionally, public parks have to be immune to lawsuits as a result of dog bite cases. Lawyers and litigation have destroyed America and many traditions of America because of their greed. In order to make a few bucks, lawyers will ruin things for everyone else. Their theory is that by filing these lawsuits, they force governments and corporations to act more safely. What really happens is that once a government entity gets sued over something (like a dog bite), then they prohibit whatever activity led to the lawsuit (like allowing dogs in parks). There is no way to stop a dog bite if the dog owner is irresponsible and brings an aggressive dog to the park, so the only way to keep it from happening is to ban dogs. So everyone loses because of one dumb asshole.

That's my rant on dog laws and dogs. If you have any ideas about dog laws and how to improve the life of dogs and their standing in society, post a comment! Michelangelo said that you can judge a society by the way it treats its animals.

7 comments:

Jess Mistress of Mischief said...

You left a message on my blog the other day and I wanted to answer, because I understand the concern behind your comments, and because it really hurt me a lot, so I had to look deep to find out where I was at fault...

I wanted you to know that I haven't ever considered taking my dogs to the pound. They are my "kids" and I am heartbroken at having to ask people from my community to assist me in giving them a better home than I can provide, that doesn't mean I would just let them go willy-nilly.

If you were to read the rest of my blog (and know me) you would understand that I've been struggling in recovery for a while now. I have moved into a 400 sq foot place which has no fenced yard and no place for 2 labs to run in the house, I work 50 hours per week, leaving home at 6:45am to get to work and leaving work at 6:00pm to get home at 6:45 most nights. I participate in AA and Celebrate Recovery not just to volunteer, but because it's absolutely critical to my recovery and sobriety. I, like you, have struggled with weight as well... went from 278 to what is now a steady 140... I empathize with your struggle, it is a horrific feeling to not be able to control weight or other things in my life. With AA/Celebrate Recovery I find that God does for me what I cannot do for myself.

I have no tv, no DVD players, no stereo. I read books from the library and when I do work I take my breaks to work on my blog and do recovery related stuff. I eat a lot of Ramen noodles at this point and feed my dogs Purina Beneful because of the crude protein %.

Though the struggles are there, and I hope that God has a good plan for the dogs, I'm not going to give them to just anyone, or to give them to the pound. I'm confident that the community around me (recovery friends, church friends, and God) will help me to continue to care for them or to help me find someone who can care for them much better than me.

My blog is a personal experience that includes my struggles and my joys... the dogs are my joy, their happiness and wellbeing are my struggle.

I'm sorry that what I wrote offended you so much that you felt you had to strike out at me as a person and that me being a christian has somehow angered you.

I am not perfect, that's not what Christianity means to me, it means I believe that there is a loving and powerful God out there who can do for me what I cannot do for myself, but if I'm not willing to admit those struggles or shortcomings, I am useless as a Christian, as someone in recovery and as a member of the human race.

I'm not God... I am hurting and lost...that's why I wrote that personal entry about the dogs...

my blog is an attempt to be transparent so that people understand that those "christians" or people who would condemn someone because of a struggle or shortcoming are not behaving as Christ would....

I am full of shortcomings and struggles.

Again, I'm sorry that my blog offended you and made you angry...it's not my intent to anger or offend anyone...just to share my experience and hopes in recovery and in my walk to find out what being a christian is really about.

Thanks for your posts in support of animal care...I really do pray that my dogs either get a better owner 'in me' as I recover, or a better owner 'than me' even if it's just that one of my community takes them temporarily as I recover enough to find a good home for them and me - I ask that anyone else would pray for the same.

thanks,
jessie

Moby Dick said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Moby Dick said...

Thanks for your thoughtful post to my blog. I am sorry that I was so harsh to you about you and your poor dogs. I know how much you must be suffering inside. Even though they are only dogs, they really are your best friends.

I understand that sometimes when you are up against a wall and you have to choose between living drug/alcohol free or keeping your dogs, then I know that you have to save yourself first. If you do not survive, then you can never help anyone else.

I guess I am a bit upset about the dogs because of my own personal guilt. When I was really at my lowest point, my wife gave me a Labrador puppy. I named her Kiwi, and she was a great dog. This dog literally raised me from the dead, and helped me overcome some very deep depression.

About three years later, my wife and my Mom decided that the dog was too much trouble, and they got rid of the dog one day. I was not present when it happened. However, I had been present when they discussed it, and I offered resistance, but not enough.

There was not much that I could do about it once the dog was gone and I was at a low point in my life without much power in the relationship.

I still feel tremendous guilt that I let that happen. I feel a lot of anger that my wife gave me a dog and then got rid of it, but I guess she was angry at me, or she just had gotten tired of the dog. My Mom had a lot to do with that too. She had started living with us and was claiming she had allergies and for that reason the cat and its kittens were gotten rid of too. I guess it was a lot of things, mostly a dysfunctional family.

I am sorry that I took things out on you. However, thank you for your kind response. It helped me to admit my guilt and to think about why I was angry about the dog issue.

I have many times prayed that Kiwi somehow came to a good home, though she probably got run over by a car or was taken to the pound eventually. I don't know. That makes it worse. Maybe it sounds silly, but I think that dog saved my life.

Jess Mistress of Mischief said...

I know that my life has been saved by Grog and Bailey over and over again. It is not by accident that God put them in my life at the time and place that he did. I think Kiwi is just where she's supposed to be. She's either a companion to someone else who desperately needed her at just the time your wife and mom couldn't handle her because of their lives being out of control, or she's with God helping him, I know so many people whose lives have been saved by the unconditional love of a furry companion!

I'm glad we've met...I'm grateful that you've helped me with more of my recovery as well.

Thanks so much!
God bless...

Hope it's ok to add you to my blogroll...???

Unknown said...

I agree with the original post that many of our laws should be changed to help dogs and their owners.
Regarding Jess and Spider63 I'm glad to see reconciliation. I know also firsthand that pets can be lifesavers. I strongly feel that one of my children might not have made it through some years when he was going through depression without our dogs and cats.
Best to all,
Steve

Lisa said...

I too am distressed with the number of homeless pets in shelters. It frustrates me to see all the free puppies or kitties in the paper from those people who haven't neutered/spayed their pet!
Then there are all the people producing pedigrees. So many homeless, why have more until we can take care of the ones we have?!

I too get really upset when I hear about tales of people who moved to a location that doesn't allow their pet. I can only hope that they did everything in their power to find a place that allowed pets first.

My cats ARE my kids. I don't think I could live with myself if I failed to protect them.

Thanks for caring!

ChaoticBlackSheep said...

I am sorry that you Jess have had to endure what you have regarding your loved and precious pets. Animals can prove to be better friends than people, especially in times of hardship. I am glad that you came to an understanding of each other.

I too am distressed by the way that animals are treated, and I especially feel that there should be stricter enforcement of or bans on puppy mills. Puppy mills are a huge problem in Missouri and Pennsylvania. There was a very powerful art show which started in Pennsylvania awhile back aimed at educating people about what these dogs must endure.
http://www.puppiesarebiodegradable.com/