Thursday, November 13, 2008

Amos Moses


This is one of my favorite country songs, and I first heard it when my family and I moved down to Florida in 1974. The song was released in 1970, and had been a big hit at the time. In the 1970s, I heard Amos Moses a few times on the radio and never heard the name of the song. I thought the song was called "Alligator Man" but it is "Amos Moses" by Jerry Reed. In the 1970s, Jerry Reed had several hit songs, such as "When You're Hot You're Hot" and "She Got the Goldmine and I Got the Shaft." Primus covered the Amos Moses song, but Jerry Reed sounds a lot more country. Amos Moses is a funny song about the Louisiana Bayou, but to me the lyrics capture the smart-aleck attitude of the 1970s era and also the innocence and naivete of the country folks who never imagined what would happen when the land developers took the swamps of Florida (and Louisiana) and turned them into shopping centers and condominiums. There was a time when you could drive around anywhere in South Florida and find swampland, lots of water, reptiles, turtles, wild birds, gulls, herons, and alligators. The canals had alligators and lots of turtles of all kinds, including snapping turtles. Local kids would swim in the canals and lakes and knew where the alligators were swimming. We used to catch turtles and swim next to water moccasins and coral snakes. If you did not bother the critters, they never bothered you or me or anyone else that I knew. I hope that there are still parts of Florida where there is lots of swampland and open water with turtles and alligators and lots of fish and houses laid out with big yards and very little traffic and over-population.

1 comment:

Sierra said...

Fun song. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I was curious about your comment and hoped you could clarify what part of my post destroys judeo-christian values. I really don't want to do that and would edit anything that gave that impression.