Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Florida Box Turtle


I had a few box turtles in the 1980s. I tried leaving them out in the yard and they invariably would dig a whole under the fence and leave. I recovered a couple, but I wonder where the rest of them went. I hope they did OK. Keeping box turtles in a cat litter box was the other alternative. There were some large plastic contatiners that were bigger than a standard aquarium and easier to clean out because they are lighter. The box turtles never seemed very happy.

Most aquatic turtles seem more sociable and happy in a clean aquarium, and they respond to me when they imagine that they are going to be fed. My box turtles on the other hand never warmed up to me. I let them have the run of the yard, so perhaps they were just not getting enough human contact? I have always liked them a lot. They are cool to watch walking around. Some day it would be nice to have some land and build a turtle habitat.

Update: 04/16/07: Faizal recently posted a link to these cool photos of his Star Tortoise being born. The photos are very amazing, I am glad to have seen them!

No comments: